Mera Peak and Hinku Valley
At 6467m, Mera Peak is Nepal's highest permitted trekking peak, standing in magnificent isolation, and towering above the densely-wooded Hinku and Hongu valleys. Although the long glacier walk to the summit is technically straightforward, the climb should not be underestimated, as climbing at these heights is always strenuous. After a flight to Lukla, the trekking trail passes through Sherpa villages and crosses the Pangum La (3173m) into the remote area south-east of Everest, and on to Panch Pokhari (five lakes). This section of the trek affords magnificent views to the east may be seen Kanchenjunga and Jannu, while the Hinku and Hongu summits dominate the northern aspect. A number of days are spent exploring this stunning area, whilst acclimatising and building up stamina before setting up a high camp on the Mera glacier. From there, and from Mera's summit, may be enjoyed what are arguably some of the most spectacular views to be found in the Himalaya. The magnificent panorama includes Kanchenjunga, Chamlang, Makalu, Baruntse, Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Ama Dablam and Cho Oyu. On descent from the summit, the return to Lukla follows a different route, through Chetera, which stays high on open hillsides rather than descending through the forests down below. This return is quicker and allows for many opportunities for fantastic backwards views of Mera herself from a new angle. Descent from Chetera is at first gradual until the rocky outcrop of Zatr Og, after which the path is steep, over rocky crags and through forests, until it reaches farmland, just before the tourist bustle of Lukla itself. After a night's rest and celebration, a flight back to Kathmandu is taken the following morning.
Itinerary at a glance
Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu and transport to Hotel
Day 2: Kathmandu. Preparing for trek.
Day 3: Flight to Lukla (2840m.), trek to Paiyan (2835m.)
Day 4: Trek to Pongkongma (2957m)
Day 5: Trek to Naji Dingma (2650m)
Day 6: Trek to Chalen Kharka (3200m) / Surkie Danda
Day 7: Trek to Panch Pokhari (Chambu Kharka) (4200m)
Day 8: Acclimatization at Chambu Kharka
Day 9: Trek to Kote (Hinku Valley)
Day 10: Trek to Tangnag (4366m)
Day 11: Acclimatization and Rest day at Tangnag
Day 12: Trek to Dig Kharka (4660m)
Day 13: Acclimatization and Preparation day at Dig Kharka (We will have the opportunity to sort out and practice climbing gear (boots, crampons and ice axe) and techniques on the Mera Glacier (5110m)
Day 14: Trek to Mera La (pass) and camp at Mera Base Camp (5350m)
Day 15: Trek to Mera High camp (5800m) final sorting out and practice climbing gear
Day 16: Summit Mera Peak (6467m), and descend to Khara (5090m)
Day 17: Spare day in case second attempt or acclimatization required
Day 18: Trek to Gotay. Camp (3600m)
Day 19: Trek to Tuli Kharka (4320m), about 300 meters below the Zatrawa La
Day 20: Zatrawa La (4600m) pass and trek to Lukla (2840m)
Day 21: Fly back to Kathmandu
Day 22: Free time in Kathmandu
Day 23: Tribhuvan International Airport for Departure
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
- A AVAILABLE - Trip date is available and open for bookings. Go for it!
- G GUARANTEED - Trip is reached minimum numbers and this is 'Guaranteed to Run'
- L LIMITED - Trip is 'Guaranteed to Run' and there are a very limited number of available places remaining. Immediate booking is recommended.
- C CLOSED - Trip has reached maximum numbers and it is unavailable. Please Contact Us to enquire about other trip departure dates or booking this trip as a private departure
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.