Upper Kali Gandaki White Water Adventure
3 days trip, 47 km rafting distance, 2 night camping, 3 days demanding rafting, River Class IV- (IV+)
Named after the Hindu goddess of destruction, Kali, the river rises in Mustang, on the northern side of the Himalayan range, and echoes the ancient trading route from Tibet. Tumbling down, for thousands of years, it has created one of the world’s deepest river canyons, between the majestic Daulagiri and Annapurna mountain ranges.
The recent damming of the lower portion of the Kali Gandaki river, has created one of Nepal's best medium-length river journeys. The stunningly beautiful scenery on this remote river makes the Kali Gandaki rafting trip a favourite among those looking for a short length, exciting, whitewater experience. The river flows through narrow gorges lined with green grasses and hanging moss, passes alongside tumbling waterfalls and jungle, and skirts seldom-visited traditional Magar and Chetri villages. There are many superb opportunities to view the Annapurna Mountain range, to enjoy the abundant wildlife on the river banks, to wonder at the temples and remote villages, and to enjoy the sandy beach campsites, with their natural, warm, waterfall showers.
The rapids on the Kali Gandaki are quite continuous, keeping paddlers busy all day.. Nowhere else is it possible to find such diversity on a 3 day/2 night rafting trip which appeals to, and satisfies, both experienced and novice rafters. Nice drops, sparkling chutes and turbulent rapids provide class III to IV runs during the autumn and spring seasons.
The put in point for rafting on the Kali Gandaki is just 3 hours from Pokhara, at Baglung Bridge, and the finishing point is at Mirmi Ghat hydro dam. From there the journey back to Pokhara takes around 4 hours.
Itinerary at a glance
Day 01: Drive to Baglung Bridge, and raft to Maldhunga (Modi Khola Dovan) – [11km]
Day 02: Raft to Purti Ghat [24km]
Day 03: Raft to Mirmi Ghat and transfer back to Pokhara [12km]
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
|Reference||Price pp||Trip Info|
... on River RaftingAll three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during rafting
Internal transportation (as stated in itinerary)
Rafting equipment (boat, safety helmet and life jacket, safety kayak, handheld paddles, dry bags etc)
Camping equipment (two-man tents, mess tent , mattresses, plates, cutlery and kitchen gear)
River permits and entrance fees.
Experienced staff (river guide, safety kayaker and some helpers)
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
Travelled with us before?
We would love you to share your images with us and our visitorsUpload your Images
We have a wide selection of photographs taken by clients and ourselves whilst on our tours. All images have been carefully selected to accurately portray this trip and uploaded for you to enjoy. All photographs copyright to the photographer.
Please click on the thumbnail to see the larger version of the photo.
- Accommodation in Kathmandu
It is our policy to use Nepali-owned accommodation, always, as we feel this is an aspect of fair trade, and the hotels we use in Kathmandu are comfortable, clean, efficient and friendly. Most hotels are also family-run; we visit, and stay in the hotels ourselves, to ensure that facilities are ... read more..
- Travel Insurance
It is a strict condition of joining an Access-Himalaya adventure holiday that you must be insured against all medical and personal accident risks, including repatriation if necessary. Helicopter evacuation, in the unlikely event of your being injured or taken seriously ill on trek, is very costly - an average rescue ... read more..
- Nepal Visa and Passport
All visitors to Nepal require a passport (valid for at least 6 months after your return to your home country) and an entry visa. A visa application should be obtained from the Nepalese Embassy, in London (click here to download Nepal visa application form ), or in your own country ... read more..
- Travel Money
You are advised to take travellers\' cheques with you for safety, and these should be American Express (preferred) or similar, as local bank cheques can be extremely difficult, or even impossible, to cash. ATM facilities are becoming increasingly available in Kathmandu, Pokhara and other large towns, so a Visa, or ... read more..
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.