Tharpu Chuli (Tent Peak) Climb
The south face of Annapurna South (7291m), at the head of the Annapurna Glacier, guards the Western flank of the Sanctuary, itself an amphitheatre of high peaks, in the centre of which is Tharpu Chuli (5663m), named Tent Peak because of its outline. Awe-inspiring views of Annapurnas I, III and V, Baraha Sikhar, Gangapurna, Khansar Kang, Tarke Kang (all in excess of 7000m), and, perhaps the most beautiful of all, Machhapuchhare (6993m), may be gained from the summit of the peak. On leaving Pokhara, the trek passes through the Gurung and Magar villages of Ghandruk and Chhomrong, before entering the corridor leading to the Sanctuary. Following a night at Machhapuchhare Base Camp, the trek continues to Annapurna Base Camp for acclimatization before moving on towards High camp (Tharpu Chuli Base Camp). This requires crossing the Annapurna Glacier, involving a steep descent over very rough ground, prior to a hard climb up the other side. It takes about 7 hours to reach High camp, at the foot of the steep snow face leading to the summit ridge of Tharpu Chuli. Technically straightforward all the way to the summit, Tent peak has attracted a lot of novice climbers over the past few years, which factor, added to stunning views throughout, has popularized this particular trek and climbing peak. Return to Pokhara, of necessity, follows the same route as the ingoing one, due to the cul-de-sac nature of the Sanctuary. However, thanks to the awe-inspiring majesty of the region, this is no hardship! Pokhara itself provides a relaxing antidote to the exertions of the Tharpu Chuli trek, before the return journey to the heaving metropolis of Kathmandu.
Itinerary at a glance
Day 1 Arrive to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel
Day 2 Kathmandu sightseeing and preparing for trek
Day 3 Early morning fly to Pokhara (820m), drive to Nayapual and trek to Syauli bazaar (1170m)
Day 4 Trek to Ghandruk (1940m)
Day 5 Trek to Chhomrung (2170m)
Day 6 Trek to Dovan (2505m)
Day 7 Trek to Deurali or Machhapuchhare Base Camp (3700m)
Day 8 Acclimatize/rest day
Day 9 Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) (4130m)
Day 10 Cross Annapurna Base camp (4500m)
Day 11 High camp (5000m), preparation and set fix rope etc.
Day 12 Acclimatize at high camp and preparation for ascent or can be first attempt to ascent
Day 13 Very early morning ascent to Tharpu chuli (5663m) and back to ABC (4130m)
Day 14 Trek back Bamboo (2335m)
Day 15 Trek to Jhinudanda (1780m) via Chhomrong
Day 16 Trek to Photana (1900m)
Day 17 Trek to Phadi(1130m) and drive back to Pokhra
Day 18 Drive back to Kathmandu
Day 19 Shopping /leisure time in Kathmandu and optional visit to EPHC, our disadvantage children support project
Day 20 Transfer to airport for international departure
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
- A AVAILABLE - Trip date is available and open for bookings. Go for it!
- G GUARANTEED - Trip is reached minimum numbers and this is 'Guaranteed to Run'
- L LIMITED - Trip is 'Guaranteed to Run' and there are a very limited number of available places remaining. Immediate booking is recommended.
- C CLOSED - Trip has reached maximum numbers and it is unavailable. Please Contact Us to enquire about other trip departure dates or booking this trip as a private departure
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.