Lhasa Kathmandu Ultimate Descent
A fully supported expedition in Tibet and Nepal, this biking tour starts and finishes in two of Asia's most exotic cities. Starting from the ancient capital of Lhasa, via Mount Everest Base Camp, and continuing down to Kathmandu on one of the longest downhill runs in the world (two and a half days), the trip encompasses five major passes over 5000m, and traverses a distance of 1000km over the backbone of the Himalayas. It offers an opportunity to those bikers with an adventurous spirit to share the terrain of the mysterious nomadic people of Tibet and experience this vast and unique landscape on a more personal level. This expedition allows time for exploring many of Tibet's most fascinating cities and spectacular monastery towns such as Gyantse, Shigastse and Shegar, and offers a chance to ride the best and most scenic portions of the Friendship Highway which links these two ancient Himalayan Kingdoms. Support vehicles carry all equipment (and riders who may need a rest on the climbs!) allowing freedom to accommodate participants of many different levels of riding skills. Everest Base Camp is a 'not to be missed' inclusion in this tour. To cycle there is another major challenge, as the road climbs almost fifty hairpin bends over the Pang La Pass. Here, at 5150m, are magnificent views of the Himalaya, and of Mt. Everest itself. Finally reaching Base Camp is a memorable experience few ever forget. An experienced Nepali mountain bike guide, fluent in English and Tibetan, will ride with the group, care for riders and equipment, help with all-important altitude acclimatisation and other health matters, and deal with Chinese officials and support crew. The trip starts in Kathmandu, where last-minute needs will be dealt with, Chinese visas endorsed, and care taken to ensure that this fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime experience will be trouble-free, before an exciting flight to Lhasa. There will be time to explore that ancient city, and thereby acclimatize, before beginning the unforgettable mountain bike ride back to Nepal's capital.
Itinerary at a glance
Day1: Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel. Evening briefing, meet guide and collect PP for Tibet visa
Day 2: We endorse Chinese visa, you check out bikes, equipment. Half-day rides or sightseeing in Kathmandu.
Day 3: Fly to Lhasa. Drive one and a half hours to hotel. Build up bikes. Overnight in hotel.
Day 4: Easy ride around Lhasa, to visit: - Norbulinka, Jokhang and Sera Monasteries. Overnight in hotel
Day 5: Visit Drepung monastery and Potala Palace. Rest of day free to explore Lhasa. Overnight in hotel
Day 6: Cycle 61km to Chusul (3600m), following the Lhasa River all the way down. Overnight in hotel
Day 7: Drive or cycle to top of Khamba La (4794m), cycle 24km down to and around Yamdruk Lake till Nagatse (4794 m). Overnight in teahouse
Day 8: Cycle or drive up Karo La, ride 105km down to Gyantse (3990m). Overnight in hotel.
Day 9: Cycle down to Shigatse (3860m) and visit Tashilhunpo Monastery (94km ride). Overnight in hotel .
Day 10: Drive and cycle 148km up to Lhatse (4050m). Overnight in hotel.
Day 11: Cross the highest pass today, Gyatso La (5220m). Ride or drive as much as you want on 73km route to Xegar (4350m). Overnight in lodge.
Day 12: Climb Pang La for panoramic views of Everest, Cho Yu and the expanse of Tibet, and cycle 55km to Tashi-Zong (4140m), Rongbuk valley. Overnight in a lodge
Day 13: Cycle up 63km to Rongbuk Monastery (4920m). Overnight in lodge.
Day 14: Visit Everest Base Camp today and return to Rongbuk (4920m) Ã ride 63km.Overnight in lodge.
Day 15: Cycle 140km (or 80km shortcut) over Jong La and along the valley to Tingri (4340). Overnight in hotel.
Day 16: Start descending the longest downhill run in the world (154km) from Tibetan Plateau down to Nyalam (3750m). Overnight in lodge.
Day 17: Keep descending downhill into Nepal today. See trees appearing and rivers growing. Cycle 115km up to Dolalghat and then drive/cycle to Dhulikhel (1600m). Overnight in resort.
Day 18: Ride last 35km section from valley rim into Kathmandu via Nala and Bhaktapur. Transfer to hotel and overnight.
Day 19: Leisure day in Kathmandu
Day 20: Transfer to Airport for Departure
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
... in Lodge TrekAccommodation in Kathmandu, bed & breakfast basis, (accommodation in twin room unless otherwise arranged) - accommodation facilities/details outlined below
All three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
All internal transportation as stated in itinerary, including domestic flights (see itinerary above)
In Lodge trek – mostly basic twin room with clean bed and mattress (toilet facilities may be outside – NO ATTACHED BATHROOM, unless otherwise arranged. Extra cost is applicable and subject to availability)
National Park entrance fees
Experienced staff - (guide, assistant guides, porters or yaks)
Staff and porter insurance
Sightseeing in Kathmandu as stated in itinerary (guide and transport only)
Free gift of Access-Himalaya trekking kit bag for each member of group (to be distributed on arrival in Kathmandu)
Free airport pick and drop
- A AVAILABLE - Trip date is available and open for bookings. Go for it!
- G GUARANTEED - Trip is reached minimum numbers and this is 'Guaranteed to Run'
- L LIMITED - Trip is 'Guaranteed to Run' and there are a very limited number of available places remaining. Immediate booking is recommended.
- C CLOSED - Trip has reached maximum numbers and it is unavailable. Please Contact Us to enquire about other trip departure dates or booking this trip as a private departure
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
- Accommodation in Kathmandu
It is our policy to use Nepali-owned accommodation, always, as we feel this is an aspect of fair trade, and the hotels we use in Kathmandu are comfortable, clean, efficient and friendly. Most hotels are also family-run; we visit, and stay in the hotels ourselves, to ensure that facilities are ... read more..
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.