Tandem Paragliding in Pokhara: Free As a Bird
As a further exciting addition to any Access-Himalaya adventure holiday, you may choose to pursue one of man’s oldest dreams - to fly through the air, like a bird. In tandem with a professional Nepalese paragliding pilot, soaring over the beautiful Fewa Lake in the Pokhara Valley, you can share the Himalayan skies with vultures and eagles.
Arguably, the most exhilarating and peaceful, simple yet challenging, form of aviation yet devised, paragliding in Nepal allows you to experience the incredible feeling of flying silently, among magnificent peaks, glaciers and valleys, in a completely free way, with only the wind in your ears and nothing between your boots and the ground but clear air! Viewed from a distance there is little to choose between the outline of a bird of prey in the foreground and paragliders further away – they both look very much the same!
Paragliding is very similar to hang gliding; in fact they are essentially the same activity, done with slightly different equipment. The advantage of paragliders is that they have a less rigid frame than hang gliders, and are much easier to land, which gives them a big advantage. The inflatable wing that suspends you and your pilot is ultra hi-tech material that unfolds from a backpack. Tandem flying involves a pilot flying with a passenger. Both have separate harnesses that are attached to each other and to the wing. After launching, you ride comfortably in a specially designed harness that holds you in place, while your pilot flies the wing. You fly with confidence, knowing that you have a fully qualified tandem pilot at the controls.
Your Access-Himalaya paragliding adventure takes you flying from Sarangkot, the stunning view-point 2000m above Lakeside, Pokhara, after a 20 min vehicle ride to the launch site, from where, incidentally, three of the highest mountains in the world may be seen. After a pre-flight briefing on paragliding, and what you are about to experience, you are coached on how to work with your pilot to launch and land successfully. Once in the air you can relax and enjoy the view and commentary from your pilot.
Paragliding really adds an extra, adrenalin-rushing dimension to your holiday in Nepal, and we can thoroughly recommend it from personal experience. Nowadays, an extreme variety of paragliding is being developed, namely Parahawking, where you may indulge in tandem paragliding alongside a trained bird of prey with the bird coming to alight on your gloved hand – but that’s another story……..!
Whatever you choose, be sure to take your video or still camera with you – the pictures will bring back your experience sharply and add a unique dimension to you photo gallery.
Itinerary at a glance
Drive to Sanagkot, about 30 minute. Paraglide down to Paame (North-West of Phewa Lake), and drive back to hotel
Date & Price
All ACCESS-HIMALAYA adventure travel trips are small group departures and therefore places can fill quickly. To avoid disappointment, we suggest you book your trip as soon as possible.
|Reference||Price pp||Trip Info|
* We offer three types of tandem paragliding flights: (TPP101) Discovery, 30min approx; (TPP101) Cross Country, 60min approx and (TPP102) Acrobatic Flying, 15min approx
...in paraglidingHalf an hour or an hour round-trip paragliding flight
Transportation from and to hotel
...in paraglidingYour personal, expenditure, insurance, and equipment
Trip Info (Tour/Trek Styles) Explained
- PG Private Group: This style of trip is organized for specific groups of people (families, friends,school and college students, colleagues, business associates etc.), and is closed to outsiders. If you are interested in this particular trip departure date then please get in touch with us.
- OA Open to All: This trip departure is open to all. However, if you are interested in this particular trip departure date but want your own private group, then please get in touch with us.
- LT Lodge Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is lodge (teahouse) based. All accommodation, including food, is provided in local lodges. Occasionally however, where a large group is concerned we may choose to send our own cook along, as well, to take care of your food hygiene and to cook some special additional items.We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s) and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- CT Camping Based Trip/Trek: This trip/trek is camping (tent) based. We will provide one 3-man tent for every two people, also single tents, where requested, on payment of supplementary costs. All food and drinks are provided by our experienced cook and his kitchen team. We provide all necessary documentation, including permits, and arrange all internal transport. We provide trekking guide, assistant guide(s), cook, kitchen crew, food and drink, and porters/animals for transport of your gear. You merely carry a daysack with essentials, including water.
- GAP Guide, Accommodation & Porter only: In this trip neither food nor transportation is included. Clients are responsible for food and local transportation, and our responsibility is to provide insured guide, insured porter, and all necessary permits. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Clients pay for their own accommodation. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, We can arrange hotels and international airport transfer, on request.
- SG Self Guided/Budget Trip: This trip is specially designed for low-budget travellers who prefer fairly basic facilities with reduced services. It is a pre-requisite that a porter is hired for any self-guided trip, which is an ideal set-up for those who enjoy independent travel with minimum cost. We have added support to minimise the hard work of planning and costing, and we will be available to help in the unlikely event of an emergency. We will arrange all documentation (including permits), before you arrive in Nepal, so that you are free to get on with your adventure, relying only on your porter to help you on your way. All additional costs are the responsibility of the clients, including charges incurred as a result of delays or cancellation of services beyond our control. Hotel accommodation, local transportation and international airport transfers may be arranged, on request.
If our fixed departure dates are not convenient for you or your group, we can also arrange private departures on all of our small group tours. Private group departures will follow the same itineraries as our usual small group tours, or itineraries may be tailormade to suit your own convenient tour date/budgets.
Itineraries may be tailor-made to suit your dates. So if you can’t find a date to suit you or if you want to have your very own tour just with your friends or family then we can help you.
Customised Private Groups:
For most of our usual tours, or itineraries, where there is a group numbering 2 or more, we can customise and organise private group trip(s) where we design the itinerary and activities exclusively for you, according to your requirements and budgets, such as Honeymoon, Anniversary, Family, Scouts, School, College, Fundraising or Charity trips. Find out more about our private group tours.
To enquire about booking a private departure of this tour or about organising your own private group tour, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly with details.